Hair nourishment is a complex process. It’s not enough to buy an expensive balsam or mask. Often, you don’t even need them. In this article, we’ll talk about how to nourish your hair from the inside with vitamins and minerals from food. You will also find out what oils are great to treat your hair with.
Foods For Healthy Hair
- Oily fish. Sardines, mackerel, salmon and other fatty fish are packed with omega-3 fatty acids.
- Spinach. This green leafy vegetable has tons of vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, beta carotene, and folate. All of them work together to keep your hair moisturised, so it doesn’t break.
- Greek yoghurt. This product is loaded with protein, which is a building block for your hair. It also contains vitamin B5, which helps with blood flow to your scalp and hair growth.
- Guava. This tropical fruit has lots of vitamin C and protects your hair from breaking.
- Eggs. B vitamin (biotin), contained in eggs which may help hair grow and strengthen nails. Eggs are also a perfect source of vitamin D (11% of your DV per one egg), which helps keep your hair strong and shiny.
- Oats. The product is rich in iron, zinc, fibre, omega-3 fatty acids, and polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), which together stimulate hair growth, making it thick and healthy.
- Lentil. It’s rich in folic acid, which can help your body make red blood cells. These red blood cells bring oxygen to your skin and scalp.
Eight Best Oils For Different Hair Types
Lavender oil is derived from lavender flowers. It is known to be beneficial for all hair types but especially for people with oily hair in the front and back. Benefits:
- Promotes hair growth increasing the number of hair follicles on the head.
- Has antiseptic and antimicrobial effects, which make it ideal for use by people with dandruff.
- Prevents hair loss, moisturises the scalp, balances sebum production.
Cannabidiol is a natural remedy used for a range of common ailments. It’s more well-known name is CBD — one of over 100+ chemical compounds known as cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant. CBD oil is typically made of CBD and the so-called carrier oil (usually MCT oil). Take a look at the six ways in which CBD can influence hair health, as well as help reduce hair loss.
- Improves hair structure and growth by improving blood circulation in the area near hair follicles. CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid system (the ECS) and elevates cerebral blood circulation, which results in nutrients reaching the hair for good growth.
- Detoxes your hair of harmful chemicals and dust particles.
- Encourages hair growth with the help of omega fatty acids that seal moisture in the hair. Massaging the scalp with this oil soothes the scalp dryness by absorbing the nutrients.
- Treats hormonal and stress-induced hair loss. Hormonal fluctuations are some of the most common reasons for hair loss. Cannabidiol interacts with several receptors that control the hormone regulation functions in your body to achieve hormonal balance.
- Prevents hair breakage. Exposure to pollution and UV radiation damages the building blocks of your hair. CBD oil features a potent moisturising property that can help treat dry and lifeless hair and creates a better appearance.
- Treats scalp conditions. CBD has anti-inflammatory properties that aid in eczema.
This extract of cold-pressed grape seeds contains emollients, antioxidants and nutrients essential to the growth of healthy hair and skin cells. The oil is ideal for dry, dull hair and brittle hair, hair prone to getting greasy. Benefits:
- The oil possesses the same moisturising qualities as many other natural oils, but it is superior in its ability to treat weak hair and hair loss.
- Effective dandruff and dermatitis fighter.
- Vitamin E content in grapeseed oil encourages the production of linoleic acid, helping restore strength and shine to weak and brittle hair.
The oil is derived from coconuts and is considered one of the most versatile oils. It is also often used for skin and nipple nourishment (especially by pregnant and breastfeeding women). Another use of coconut oil is for oil pulling — swishing oil in your mouth to remove bacteria and promote oral hygiene. The oil is loaded with vitamin E and MCT (medium-chain triglycerides).
The oil fits all hair types, but particularly those dull, dry and damaged. Hair health benefits of coconut oil include:
- Protects against heat damage and repairing broken and brittle hair.
- Helps to prevent hair loss and promotes hair growth and a healthy scalp.
- Improves the look of hair by retaining moisture in them and adding a beautiful gloss.
This oil is a product of the jojoba plant and is ideal for hair use since it shares many characteristics with sebum (natural oil our scalps produce). Jojoba oil is ideal for damaged, dry, dull hair and those with dry scalp issues. Potential benefits include the following ones:
- Possesses antibacterial qualities.
- Moisturises and nourishes hair, prevents dandruff, makes hair soft and shiny.
Also known as Moroccan oil, it is derived from argan tree nuts. The product is rich in antioxidants, vitamin E and fatty acids. Argan oil is sometimes referred to as “liquid gold” because of its rich golden colour. Use it for frizzy, brittle, dry and coarse hair that is exposed to heat and frequently styled. Benefits:
- Protects hair against UV rays damage.
- Moisturises and smoothes hair, making it manageable and soft.
Sweet Almond Oil
The oil comes from the kernels inside edible almonds. Sweet almond oil is not only great for cooking but is also wonderful for your hair. It contains proteins, antioxidants, fatty acids, vitamin E, alongside magnesium, which reduces hair breakage and helps it grow. Use the oil for dry and damaged, dandruff-prone hair and if you have issues with hair growth. Benefits:
- Seals, protects and moisturises hair.
When used regularly, this oil can even replace the need to use conditioner and other hair-smoothing products. Ideal for frizzy, damaged, dull hair, as well as hair that is dandruff-prone. The best choice is organic, Gundry MD polyphenol olive oil since it is rich in natural antioxidants and doesn’t contain any chemical ingredients. Benefits:
- Coats hair and shields keratin to protect your hair.
- Exfoliates scalp and helps to fight dandruff.