“Do not regret growing older, it’s a privilege denied to many.” Richard Gere
We can’t stop time. But we can help slow it down a little, at least when it comes to how we look. When considering how to look younger, men are often left out of the conversation. In years past, we tended to think of anti-ageing strategies and wrinkle remedies as being for women, but more and more men are focused on how to look younger for longer, and more importantly, how to keep their skin healthy.
This article covers tried and true ways of appearing younger, while also looking at science-backed tips for keeping your skin healthy and youthful. Here are 12 ways for how to look younger for men.
1. Get Active
One of the best ways to stay looking younger is to be active. Of course, keeping your body in shape is good for you, but there are some other very beneficial reasons to play a sport or stay active physically that you might not even know about, especially after 50 years old.
Exercise will keep you looking younger by:
- increasing bloodflow, bringing lots of essential nutrients to cells.
- eliminating toxins through elevated levels of sweat.
- helping to improve muscle tone, therefore posture.
- helping the body produce more dopamine and serotonin, 2 chemicals which help combat cortisol, a stress hormone that can accelerate the breakdown of our skin cells.
Try to exercise at least two to three times per week.
2. Eat Well
Around age 40, most men experience a slow down in their metabolism. When this happens, toxins build up in our body more easily and the ageing process speeds up.
According to food.ndtv.com, there are anti ageing foods that can drastically help improve metabolism and help our skin look naturally more youthful by introducing nutrients and phytochemicals that can strengthen our cells. Some of these include tomatoes, ginseng, berries, and avocado.
But there are two more ways that can slow down your ageing and help you look up to 10 years younger.
- Cut Down Your Sugar Intake
When choosing food at the grocery store, look for products that are unprocessed and free of added sugars and colours. Sugars in particular break down skin cells, making our skin look wrinkled and saggy much faster. If you’ve got a sweet tooth, try to make your own sweets at home.
While white and brown sugar contributes to cellular breakdown and sugar substitutes contain harmful chemicals, sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, and molasses actually have health benefits!
- Start Taking Your Supplements
No matter how well we try to eat, there are certain nutrients and vitamins we just can’t get enough of from our diets. Thankfully, there are many high-quality supplements available to us to help keep you looking great!
These supplements will slow the ageing process and help us look great as we age.
- Biotin – This can keep hair looking full and full of lustre, and keep skin bright and thick.
- Hyaluronic Acid – This can be applied topically and helps skin retain moisture, but when taken as a supplement, it can also help ease pain in joints and can dramatically improve the skin’s elasticity.
- Vitamin C – This easy-to-take supplement helps us produce collagen which gives skin its tight and elastic texture so we look great as we age.
- Vitamin A – Retinol, a form of vitamin A, is one of only a few wrinkle treatments approved by the FDA because of its ability to reduce and prevent wrinkles.
3. Drink Enough Water
It’s no secret that if we drink plenty of water, our bodies stay more hydrated. It’s also not a secret that it’s really, really difficult for most of us to get enough water each day, and we end up supplementing with moisturizer.
Surprisingly, there aren’t a lot of solid studies on how staying hydrated affects your skin’s ageing, although those that do exist seem to say what we all suspect: water keeps us young. Our cells contain a lot of water and so does the space between our cells. The more dehydrated our cells become, the smaller and less firm they are as well. This is why it’s generally agreed that dehydration can make our skin look saggy and less firm.
a man in a chair during a skin rejuvenation procedure
4. Make Your Skin Look Younger
There are three important things you can do to make your skin appear younger, and support everything else you’re doing to improve the health of your skin
- Visit an anti-aging clinic, such as Novuskin MedSpa in Denver. MedSpas are not just for women. More men (especially age 40 and over) are using medical spa treatments to make the skin look younger and healthier without surgery, and reduce the look of wrinkled foreheads and eyes quickly and painlessly.
- Moisturize every day. When it comes to moisturizing, don’t trust home remedies. Buy a high quality, anti aging skin care line, and don’t be afraid to use moisturizing cream on the face each day. You can also support your skin by using warm (not hot) water when you shower and wash your face.
- Use sunscreen every day. Sunscreen is not just for women! Sun exposure is attributed for 90 percent of our skin aging, according to the Skin Cancer Foundation. Apply everyday, even when it doesn’t seem that sunny.
5. Keep a Check on Unwanted Hair
One thing most sexy older men do is take care of unwanted body hair. By taking care of nose and ear hair, and hair growing on your shoulders, back, and neck, you’ll immediately look younger and more attractive. Well trimmed and maintained facial hair will also give a more youthful appearance, and send a message that you care about your physical appearance. Maintaining your body hair will help you look good, and feel good, too!
6. Brighten Your Smile
Hot olden men have gorgeous smiles, but our teeth naturally turn yellow as we age. No matter how much we brush or care for our teeth, it’s inevitable. Many good looking men combat this problem by having their teeth whitened. There are many home kits for whitening, but you can also talk to your dentist about safe and fast methods of giving your teeth a brightened tone.
7. Get Enough Sleep
If you’re older but still staying up late into the night, consider adjusting your sleep routine. Our cells do most of their regeneration while we sleep, so when we don’t get enough, our skin cells age faster.
8. Try a New, Stylish Haircut
It’s easy to get stuck in a rut, but updating a hairstyle and colour can actually make a man’s face look younger! If it’s been a while since you had a new hairstyle, talk to your barber about updating your look.
It might feel a little awkward to ask, but your barber will likely be really excited to get to give your hair a new style. If you’re experiencing hair loss, your barber may be able to offer solutions or a style that makes your hair look more full. You can also incorporate a natural-looking hair colour treatment.
9. Change the Way You Dress
Wondering how to look younger than men your age? As we get older, we often end up falling into a routine of wearing the same clothing style, men often for decades! Keeping up with current clothing styles can help you look sexy! Of course, you want to feel comfortable in what you have on, but comfort does not need to equal familiarity. It’s ok and often very healthy to step out of your comfort zone!
Not sure where to begin? Check out the mannequins at stores you often visit (and maybe a few you haven’t tried yet!) to see new arrivals. Don’t be afraid to try on something you haven’t tried before. When in doubt, as a sales associate to help.
10. Drink in Moderation
Alcohol is poison for your skin. When you drink, your pores dilate, creating inflammation under your skin. Long-term, this inflammation leads to a permanent flushed appearance which robs you of your youthful skin tone. More importantly, is the issue of dehydration which is one of the biggest causes of premature ageing. Alcohol robs every cell in your body of moisture and destroys collagen, a protein necessary for firm, young-looking skin.
11. Say ‘No’ to Smoking
Men who look younger for their age have often stayed away from habits traditionally known for their ability to damage cells, such as smoking. Nicotine causes our blood vessels to narrow, so our cells are robbed of the right amount of nutrients to stay healthy, adding years to how old we look. This causes more wrinkles to develop at a younger age. It’s also critical to men’s health, as the chemicals in cigarettes cause damage to our organs over time.
12. Live Happy
Perhaps the most important point on the list, choose to live a happy life. If you want to feel younger, focus on today and worry less about tomorrow. You’ll increase your endorphins which are known to make you feel happier and help keep you looking sexy and youthful. Everyone looks better when they smile, so find a way to relieve stress and enjoy life as much as you can!
Novuskin MedSpa is located at 8200 E Belleview Ave #100E Greenwood Village, CO 80111. If you’re in the Denver area and are looking for more ways to improve the look of ageing, call the expert professionals at Novuskin today for a free in-person or online consultation.