I will forever stand by that Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I can’t function without having breakfast in the morning. Poached eggs and smoked salmon is my absolute favourite although I am also partial to a chia seed pudding too! What’s your favourite breakfast?
If you have a breakfast lover in your life and you’re searching for the ultimate breakfast gift for them this Christmas then why not check out Urban Fox Gifts and create them a personalised breakfast egg board. Perfect for dippy eggs and soldiers, a big bacon sandwich or even for pancakes to sit on. The breakfast combos are endless.
I’m going to let you into my top 3 favourite egg breakfasts (with recipes) for lazy mornings that you can enjoy too.
Something for the weekend – Eggs Royale
A variation on Eggs Benedict and Eggs Florentine, Royale is my all-time favourite breakfast. Poached eggs are bedded on smoked salmon on top of a toasted English muffin before being lathered with Hollandaise sauce. Add a twist of black pepper and a sprinkling of chilli flakes for utter perfection.
- Melt 125g butter in a saucepan and skim any white solids from the surface. Keep the butter warm.
- Now place 2 egg yolks, ½ tsp white wine or tarragon vinegar, a pinch of salt and a splash of ice-cold water in a metal or glass bowl that will fit over a small pan.
- Whisk for a few mins, then put the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water and whisk continuously until pale and thick, about 5-7 mins.
- Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the melted butter, bit by bit until you have a creamy hollandaise. (If it gets too thick, add a splash of water.)
- Season with a squeeze of lemon juice and a little cayenne pepper. Keep warm until needed.
- Meanwhile, toast 2 muffin halves, top each half with a slice of smoked salmon and a poached egg, then spoon over a generous helping of hollandaise. Enjoy.
Something for the fitness junkie – Protein Pancakes
If you’re a lover of fitness and want a tasty breakfast that’s perfectly balanced for your macro intake then these protein pancakes are just the job, serve with chopped berries and yoghurt for the perfect taste.
- Add 3 eggs, 2 bananas and 2 scoops of protein powder to the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Throw a handful of halved blueberries into the mixture
- Heat up a pan with ½ tsp of coconut oil, pour 3 or 4 round pancake shapes into the pan at a time let cook for 2-3 minutes and flip. Repeat with the rest of the mixture
- Serve with chopped berries and yoghurt
Something for the travel lover – Huevos Rancheros
A firm favourite Mexican breakfast to really set you up for the day. This is a great hangover cure too and is perfect for making for guests coming round for brunch.
- (Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Fan 170C/Gas Mark 5). Heat oil in a frying pan and add onion, pepper, garlic and oregano. Gently cook for 5 mins until everything softens.
- Add the tomatoes and chilli, cooking for a further 5 mins until slightly reduced. Divide the mixture between two ovenproof dishes and make a slight hollow in the centre of each.
- Break an egg into each hollow. Sprinkle over some grated cheese and then bake in the oven for 20–25 mins until the eggs are cooked.
- Either tuck into your huevos rancheros straight from the ovenproof dishes or scoop out and serve atop two corn tortillas, with a dollop of guacamole or sour cream if you fancy.
There we’ve got my top 3 breakfasts. What’s your favourite breakfast? I’d love to know in the comments below